CLASSIFICATION | Faster, taller, stronger: that’s the mantra of the world’s 50 highest-paid athletes in 2022. With that mindset, it’s no wonder last year’s earnings record is broken.
The 50 highest-paid athletes in the world have earned a total of $2.97 billion before taxes and agent commissions in the last 12 months (data as of 1Ahem May), breaking the record set last year of $2.76 billion.
The ranking figures this year they are maddening! Here’s what to remember:
3. This is the number of athletes who have exceeded $100 million in total revenue in the last 12 months. Lebron Jameswith $121.2 million in revenue, it reached this threshold for the first time since entering this ranking, while Leo Messi ($130 million) and Cristiano Ronaldo (115 million dollars) they achieve it for the fifth time. Only seven other athletes have already achieved this feat: Roger Federer, Floyd Mayweather, Conor McGregor, Neymar, Manny Pacquiao, Dak Prescott and Tiger Woods.
6. This is the number of newcomers this year to the ranking of the 50 highest paid athletes in the world: the boxer jake paul and football players joseph allen, Stefon Diggs, Marshon Lattimore, ryan ramczykY J.Watt. Huge NFL signing bonuses (usually paid up front) guarantee a high turnover rate. For example, Matthew Stafford ranks 13meplace in this year’s standings with $72.3 million in earnings, including $60 million in signing bonuses. However, the player’s sports earnings are expected to drop to $27.5 billion next year, which will definitely keep him out of the rankings next year.
BREAKDOWN OF THE 50 HIGHEST PAID ATHLETES IN THE WORLD BY SPORT PRACTICED
9. This is the number of sports represented in this year’s ranking, led by basketball with 18 athletes. American football ranks second with 14 athletes, followed by soccer (5), boxing (3), golf (3), tennis (3), F1 (2), baseball (1), and MMA (1).
14. This is the number of nationalities represented in this year’s ranking. The United States leads with 35 athletes. the UK, with Fury Tyson, Lewis Hamilton Y Rory McIlroyit is the only other country that has more than one athlete in the ranking.
BREAKDOWN OF THE 50 HIGHEST-PAID ATHLETES IN THE WORLD BY COUNTRY
twenty. This is the number of athletes in the top 50 who did not appear in the rankings last year. Among them are Kawhi Leonard and Rory McIlroy who were in the ranking in 2020, but not in 2021.
32. This is the average age of the 50 highest-paid athletes in the world in 2022. At just 23 years old, Kylian Mbappe He is the youngest in the ranking and one of seven athletes this year to be under 25. Phil Michaelson, 51, is the oldest in the ranking. Four athletes are in their forties: tiger forest (46 years), Tom Brady (44 years), Roger Federer(40 years) and Serena Williams (40 years).
$43,500. That’s how much Tiger Woods has pocketed in prize money in the last 12 months, making it the lowest earner in sports earnings in this year’s rankings. Tiger Woods, whose injuries after his car accident in February 2021 limited his participation in the Masters, arrives in 14me position in the ranking thanks to his non-sports income estimated at $68 million. In addition to his lucrative contracts with brands like Nike, Rolex and TaylorMade, the golfer has earned $8 million through the PGA Tour’s Player Impact program, designed to reward golfers who pay more attention to the sport.
$37.6 million. This is the threshold to be reached to be part of the top 50 this year, that is, the income of the linebacker of the Pittsburgh Steelers, TJ Watt. Last year, that threshold was $34 million. Furthermore, since 2013, this represents a 69% increase.
TEN YEARS OF RANKING OF THE 50 HIGHEST PAID ATHLETES IN THE WORLD BY ENTRY THRESHOLD IN THE TOP 50
$38 million. These are Jake Paul’s 12-month earnings. The youtuber and boxer has pocketed 30 million dollars in two fights. Jake Paul, 25, made his debut in the world of professional boxing less than two and a half years ago. Since then, he has become one of the sport’s biggest draws.
$40 million. These are the reported earnings of Canelo Alvarez after losing to Dmitri Bivol on May 7. However, the fight fell just outside the follow-up window of ForbesTherefore, these earnings could not be accounted for this year, which confined the Mexican boxer to seventh place in the ranking. Had those earnings been counted, Canelo Alvarez would have found himself tied for first place with Lionel Messi.
$43 million. These are the 12-month earnings of Conor McGregor, who reaches 35me position in the ranking, tied with Kylian Mbappé. Leaving aside the $150 million he made last year from the sale of his majority stake in Irish whiskey brand Proper No. Twelve, that’s an increase of $13 million compared to 2021. year it topped the charts with $180 million in revenue.
$45.3 million. These are Phil Mickelson’s 12-month earnings. The golfer has not participated in any competition since his controversial statement last February: he said he was willing to ignore alleged human rights violations in Saudi Arabia to join a future golf league. Several of his sponsors, such as Workday, KPMG and Mastel Light, dropped out. However, that loss of revenue was offset by the $6 million he earned through the PGA Tour’s Player Impact program and the August sale of six golf courses he co-owned in Arizona.
$49.5 million. This is 12 months income mike trout which touches his income record for a player ($ 50.6 million in 2019). The Los Angeles Angels outfielder signed a 12-year, $426.5 million deal with his club. Mike Trout is the only MLB player to make the rankings this year. He has pocketed significant income from his involvement with the Bodyarmor brand.
$59.2 million. This is 12 months income noemi osaka which, in addition, touches its previous income record for an athlete (60 million dollars in 2021). Serena Williams raised a tidy sum of 45.3 million dollars, the best performance of hers in her ranking. However, the two tennis aces, respectively ranked 19thme and 31me place, they are the only women to appear in the top 50.
$80.9 million. This is 12 months income Giannis Antetokounmpo. This is also the income threshold to be part of the top 10. This threshold is the highest in the history of the ranking.
$121.2 million. That’s LeBron James’ 12-month earnings, a record for an NBA player. The basketball star is breaking his own record that he set last year ($96.5 million). He is one of four athletes, along with Roger Federer, Conor McGregor and Tiger Woods, to surpass the $70 million mark in non-sports earnings this year.
$130 million. These are Lionel Messi’s 12-month earnings, equal to his own record earnings for a footballer. The soccer star tops the charts this year. In his first season at PSG, Messi’s salary was down $22 million from his last year at FC Barcelona, but his new partnership with the Socios app allowed him to make up for that loss.
690 million. This is the number of followers of Cristiano Ronaldo on Instagram, Facebook and Twitter. The Portuguese soccer player is the athlete with the most subscribers on social networks, which partly explains the amount of his contracts with sponsors such as Nike and Herbalife.
TEN YEARS OF NON-SPORTS INCOME
Here are the annual figures for the total non-sports earnings of the world’s 50 highest-paid athletes since 2013.
$1.06 billion. This is the sum of the non-sports income of the 50 highest paid athletes in the world this year. Roger Federer tops the list with $90 million in non-sports income, which is almost all of his earnings this year ($90.7 million). Seven other athletes have earned at least $50 million in non-sports income: LeBron James ($80 million), Tiger Woods ($68 million), Naomi Osaka ($58 million), Lionel Messi ($55 million), Cristiano Ronaldo ($55 million), Tom Brady ($52 million) and Kevin Durant ($50 million).
Forbes US Translated Article – Author: Brett Knight